This fall Lance announced that he was returning to the professional bicycle racing circuit. He made his debut last week down under in Australia where was given a hero’s welcome. One reporter acknowledging the religious fervor of the crowd commented to Lance, “It looks as if Jesus Christ is going to cycle."
I can understand why some people have assumed that Lance was a reincarnation of Jesus. Consider these facts:
- Lance has superhero strength.
- Lance inspires faith, even in France.
- Lance practically came back from the dead (he was healed of testicular cancer that got into his brain, lungs and abdomen).
- Everywhere he goes Lance is followed closely by disciples and is watched by crowds of onlookers.
- Jesus didn’t actually retire; he went to Heaven to build homes.
- Jesus preached that the first would be last, which hardly makes you a good cyclist.
- Jesus prefers earthen tones and doesn’t particularly look good in yellow.
- Jesus certainly loves Sheryl Crow, but he’d never date her.